Search This Blog

Translate

Blog Archive

Middleboro Review 2

NEW CONTENT MOVED TO MIDDLEBORO REVIEW 2

Toyota

Since the Dilly, Dally, Delay & Stall Law Firms are adding their billable hours, the Toyota U.S.A. and Route 44 Toyota posts have been separated here:

Route 44 Toyota Sold Me A Lemon



Friday, October 7, 2011

Bob Massie: A thank you to supporters

Bob Massie would have made a great Senator from Massachusetts, made a personal commitment to those democratic values that made our nation great.

A thank you to supporters
Friday, October 7, 2011

Today I am withdrawing from the race for the Democratic nomination for the United States Senate. I am doing so because the momentum of the race has shifted so profoundly that I can no longer see a path for me to win the primary and defeat Scott Brown.

As someone who loves our history and our commonwealth, it has been a privilege to run for this office over the last nine months. One cannot retrace the steps of great senators like John and Edward Kennedy without coming to understand the importance of this role.

I know how hard people are struggling today. In a hundred speeches I have defended the right of every citizen to a good home, a good school, a good doctor, and a good job. I have also said that despite the difficulties we are facing today, we must not forget our opportunities and responsibilities for tomorrow.

For America to prosper in the twenty-first century, we need to tackle deep structural problems affecting our middle class. We need to address long-term challenges like job creation, income inequality, climate change and the persistent scourge of poverty.

In Massachusetts, throughout the United States, and around the world we see more and more people expressing their passionate discontent and demanding change. Thousands have taken to the streets from the Middle East to Europe and now to the United States to air their grievances in public. These demonstrations are just one of the many signs that our economic and political systems are seriously broken and must be redesigned and repaired.

We must move towards societies that are far more democratic, prosperous, and just. We must battle constantly against political and economic tyrannies that seek to bend our world exclusively to the desires of the few.

I have spent my entire life working for justice -- tackling homelessness, racial prejudice, environmental destruction, and corporate misbehavior. For nearly twenty years, I have concentrated on the vital concept of sustainability, which stresses the interdependence of human, economic, and environmental goals. I entered politics in part to bring the language and values of sustainability -- a concept sweeping the world -- into the American debate, from which it has largely been absent. By withdrawing from this particular race, I am not withdrawing from this commitment.

I was fortunate to have been the founder and chair of the Global Reporting Initiative, the world's largest and most successful corporate responsibility standard. This tool, now required by many governments, is transforming the world economy in a manner that combines and respects the needs of financial capital, social capital, natural capital, and human capital. I intend to continue this work to move capitalism into the twenty-first century and create the global systems in which both our people and our planet prosper.

We all have a role to play in this. This is an extraordinary state filled with extraordinary people and we are capable of extraordinary achievements. I plan to play my part moving forward.

I want to thank the thousands of people who have believed in me, supported me, endorsed me, and worked for me since last winter. I travelled more than 12,000 miles across the state and I learned just how strong, creative, and passionate our citizens are. It is my sincere wish that our elected representatives, whoever they are, will listen to the people's most profound desires and will take the bold steps towards sustainability that will allow Massachusetts to lead America, and America to lead the world.

No comments: