Search This Blog

Translate

Blog Archive

Middleboro Review 2

NEW CONTENT MOVED TO MIDDLEBORO REVIEW 2

Toyota

Since the Dilly, Dally, Delay & Stall Law Firms are adding their billable hours, the Toyota U.S.A. and Route 44 Toyota posts have been separated here:

Route 44 Toyota Sold Me A Lemon



Saturday, March 29, 2008

As a taxpayer, why I support Charles Shea

It isn't often that the office of Assessor is a contested race.

This year is an exception that has forced some to consider the office and its responsibilities.

As a taxpayer, you are presented with an opportunity to elect an experienced Assessor to the Board of Assessors who is willing to offer professional expertise to serve the Town.

The choice seems simple.

The following statement was offered by Mr. Charles Barry Shea:

My name is Charles Shea and I’m a candidate for Assessor of Middleborough.

My wife and I bought a piece of land in 2000 and built our house with the help of Al Gamache the following year.

Ted Eayrs, on candidates' night, asked me if I wanted to “micro-manage” the office. No. I don’t.

Neither do I want to advantage myself due to my position, nor do I want to bend rules to save myself a few tax dollars. I want to be part of a multi-member team with the goal of “full and fair” valuation for all taxpayers in the community.

I do want to bring some of my varied, out of town, experience to the department. I’ve worked with their appraisal software since 1982 in numerous towns. I’m helping install it this year in Rochester. I’ve been the Assessor’s contractor in Rochester since 1988. I’ve valued Tony Sol’s pig farm. I’ve appraised Semass’s land. I did revaluations in New Braintree and Oakham. I know “rural”. I appraised the Swansea Mall, The Chatham Bars Inn and P’Town’s commercial real estate. I reviewed the Prudential and Hancock Towers. I know resorts and I know high values. I reviewed the entire town of Mashpee in 1982. I believe Middleborough can benefit from my experience.

I’m a proponent of “quarterly tax billing”. It’s financially sound and fiscally responsible. I’m also a proponent of a July 1 assessment date for new construction. The “growth”, the new tax dollars as a result of this new construction, becomes part of the levy limit base a year earlier. Both of these aspects increase revenue dollars. They require no new personnel and no additional effort.

I’m a proponent for Elderly Exemptions. These folks have paid full taxes for years. Many are now on low, fixed incomes. Their kids are long out of school. I have supported increasing the state recommended exemption amounts. I have supported expanding the thresholds for income and assets, allowing more elderly to qualify and giving them a bigger break. The younger families in town understand and approve.

I maintain an excellent relationship with Army Master Sergeant Joe Colantoni, a veteran’s agent with whom I, as a Deputy Assessor, work. He knows how I feel about our veterans.

I look forward to serving the Town of Middleborough as their elected assessor. I assure each and every taxpayer of my efforts on their behalf to increase the efficiency and enhance the effectiveness of the department.

Charles B. Shea

No comments: