Search This Blog

Translate

Blog Archive

Middleboro Review 2

NEW CONTENT MOVED TO MIDDLEBORO REVIEW 2

Toyota

Since the Dilly, Dally, Delay & Stall Law Firms are adding their billable hours, the Toyota U.S.A. and Route 44 Toyota posts have been separated here:

Route 44 Toyota Sold Me A Lemon



Friday, October 3, 2008

Junk Mail

In response to a viewer's email inquiry, WBZ offered commentary about JUNK MAIL and links to opt out sites.

Viewers 'Curious' About Stopping Junk Mail
.
Reporting
David Wade BOSTON (WBZ) ― Do you ever cringe when you open your mailbox because it's stuffed with junk mail? A growing number of people are sick of getting ads, catalogs and credit card come-ons, and they're curious about what to do about it. "It drives me crazy for so many reasons," said junk mail-hater Juliet Pyles.
.
Although I've previously posted the links, they're worth a re-visit for those who missed them. Not only are they filling mailboxes, but then they must be recycled, buried in a landfill or, in the case of Middleboro, carted to SEMASS for burning.
.
Footnote to comment:
Although I had never given it any thought, burning probably does pose an environmental issue since some of the inks used may contain lead or heavy metals.
My personal feeling is to reduce the volume since it really is a nuisance, besides the environmental issues.
When I began reducing my junk mail, it was prior to the current campaigns and since my name or address appeared in various forms, the sources were easily identified.
This is how I began:
1. Notified each and every credit card company not to sell my name (that stopped the credit card/loan solicitations)
2. Notified ComCast, Verizon, banks and magazines not to sell my name
3. Notified credit bureaus not to sell my name
4. Sent written notices to the addresses provided in the links to Direct Mail Marketing organizations
5. Notified catalog companies that I use frequently not to sell my name
.
Within the links provided, is an email address for ValPack that eventually stops a few months after notification.
.
That has reduced my volume to a tolerable level of one or two pieces a day, at most, which allows a reasonable review of the sources to stop those as well.
.
We shred the remaining paper and use it as compost.
.
This isn't a one day project, so print the list and check each off as you tackle it. Or simply subscribe to one of the services and pay a nominal charge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since the ban on telemarketing, my junk mail has at least tripled. Sorting through it has become a real pain in the $%$. I have been mixing it with my kindling, in our little top wood loading stove. Free heat!!

I wonder if burning all that ink poses a health risk??