Search This Blog

Translate

Blog Archive

Middleboro Review 2

NEW CONTENT MOVED TO MIDDLEBORO REVIEW 2

Toyota

Since the Dilly, Dally, Delay & Stall Law Firms are adding their billable hours, the Toyota U.S.A. and Route 44 Toyota posts have been separated here:

Route 44 Toyota Sold Me A Lemon



Monday, May 5, 2014

Senator Markey on TPP



At the top left hand corner of this space is a search feature. If you type in TPP or Trans-Pacific Partnership, most of the articles posted regarding the issue will be produced. [At the bottom of the page, click 'OLDER POSTS' to view additional posts.]

The information about TPP has been mostly "SECRET" avoiding public scrutinity, comment and criticism. Let's make sure TPP prevents the disaster that was NAFTA.



EDWARD J. MARKEY
MASSACHUSETTS
218 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON, DC 20510
(202) 224-2742

United States Senate
May 2, 2014
 

Thank you for contacting me about the Trans-Pacific Partnership. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.
The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a proposed international trade agreement between Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, Vietnam, and the United States. In a global economy, international trade is critical to the growth of the American economy. In the fiercely competitive global marketplace, United States businesses must have access to foreign markets in order to sustain and increase job growth and productivity. In Massachusetts, especially, our knowledge-based economy means markets must be open overseas to our high-tech products and services.
However, I strongly believe that the United States should only enter into international trade agreements with countries that safeguard workers' rights and protect their environment in order to promote a healthy global economy. These are critical issues for me as I determine whether to support the TPP.
I am also particularly concerned that the potential agreement could harm some United States manufacturers that are creating jobs and helping to get our economy back on track. I will be working to ensure that any TPP agreement does not unduly harm Massachusetts manufacturers. I will oppose trade deals that I believe are not in the best interest of our economy, our workers, and our environment.
The proposed TPP is currently being negotiated by the office of the United States Trade Representative. While it appears that progress has been made in the negotiations, I have been disappointed by the lack of transparency about the details of the proposal. If the United States is to engage in a major international trade agreement, the American people have right to know what is in the deal. Until I am assured that the agreement includes appropriate labor and environmental protections, I cannot lend my support to the Fast Track process, which would expedite approval of the TPP. I will be closely monitoring the progress of the proposal and will actively work toward trade solutions that support our economy, our workers, and our environment.
Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. To sign up for my newsletter, visit http://www.markey.senate.gov/newsletter. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Sincerely,

Signature
Edward J. Markey
United States Senator
 
 
 

No comments: