This is a reminder that the 2017 Construction Shutdown for the Commonwealth Avenue Bridge Replacement Project (http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement.aspx) is beginning at 9:00 PM on Wednesday, July 26, and will continue through 5:00 AM on Monday, August 14. Please note the construction-related impacts below:
I-90 (Mass Pike) Users:
From 9:00 PM on July 28 to 5:00 AM on August 7:
• I-90 between the Allston Interchange and the Beacon Street Overpass in Boston will be reduced to two lanes in both directions during peak hours (additional lane closures during off-peak hours, see below).
• The I-90 Eastbound on-ramp from Cambridge Street/Soldiers Field Road will be closed.
• The I-90 Westbound Exit 20 off-ramp to Brighton/Cambridge will be closed intermittently.
I-90 Off-Peak Lane Reductions:
Weekdays, July 28 - August 1 (during I-90 eastbound shift):
• 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM: one eastbound lane open and two westbound lanes open
Weekdays, August 2 - August 7 (during I-90 westbound shift):
• 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM: one westbound lane open and two eastbound lanes open
Weekends (9:00 PM on Friday to 5:00 AM on Monday):
• One eastbound and two westbound lanes open, or one westbound and two eastbound lanes open
See the “I-90 (Mass Pike) Ramp Closures Detour” on the Traffic Management page: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement/TrafficManagement.aspx
Commonwealth Avenue Users:
• Commonwealth Avenue (between Packard’s Corner and Kenmore Square) will be closed to vehicular through traffic (local access only) from 7:00 PM on July 27 to 5:00 AM on August 14. Access will be maintained for businesses and abutting properties.
• See the “Commonwealth Avenue Closure Detour” on the Traffic Management page: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement/TrafficManagement.aspx
Boston University (BU) Bridge Users:
• The BU Bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic from 7:00 PM on July 27 to 5:00 AM on August 14.
• See the “Boston University (BU) Bridge Closure Detour” on the Traffic Management page: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement/TrafficManagement.aspx
For Pedestrians and Bicyclists:
• Pedestrians and bicyclists will have full access across the Commonwealth Avenue Bridge on the westbound side throughout construction.
• Bicyclists heading north and south between Mountfort/Essex Street and the BU Bridge will follow a minor detour route. See the new Bicycle Routes and Detours Map on the Traffic Management page: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement/TrafficManagement.aspx
• There will be additional Hubway stations on Commonwealth Avenue during the shutdown (see below).
• See the Walk and Bike Times Map: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/HighlightedProjects/CommAveBridge/WalkBikeTimeReduced.pdf
For MBTA Green B Line Users:
• The Green B Line will be replaced with shuttle buses between Babcock Street and Blandford Street Stations from 9:00 PM on July 26 to 5:00 AM on August 14.
• See the Green Line page on the project website: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement/TrafficManagement/GreenLineBBranch.aspx
For MBTA Commuter Rail and Amtrak Users:
• The Commuter Rail Framingham/Worcester Line will operate regular service on weekdays.
• On weekends (July 29-30 and August 5-6), service will terminate at Boston Landing, where customers can take a shuttle to Reservoir on the Green Line D branch.
• Extra Green Line trains will run from Reservoir to Park Street to accommodate Commuter Rail passengers.
• There is no scheduled direct shuttle service provided between Boston Landing and Yawkey, Back Bay, or South Station.
• There will be service between Boston Landing and Yawkey Station only related to the Red Sox games (7/29, 7/30, 8/5, 8/6). This service will be inbound from Boston Landing to Yawkey three hours before the start of each game and outbound with a departure 30 minutes after the conclusion of the ballgame.
• See the Commuter Rail page on the project website: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement/TrafficManagement/CommuterRailFraminghamWorcesterLine.aspx
• Amtrak’s Lakeshore Limited Line will be replaced by shuttle buses between South Station and Albany, NY for the weekends of July 29-30 and August 5-6.
For MBTA Bus Users:
• MBTA Bus Routes CT2 and 47 will be detoured from the normal routes from 7:00 PM on July 27 to 5:00 AM on August 14.
• See the MBTA Bus page on the project website: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/CommonwealthAvenueBridgeReplacement/TrafficManagement/Bus47CT2and57.aspx
• Route 57 Bus will operate its normal route.
MassDOT Encourages Active Transportation
There will be pedestrian and bicycle wayfinding signage at all Green Line shuttle bus stops on Commonwealth Avenue to encourage active transportation, especially for short trips. This will help optimize shuttle bus operations by shortening bus wait times and headways.
Additional Hubway Stations:
MassDOT is partnering with Hubway to provide additional temporary Hubway stations on Commonwealth Avenue during the construction period at:
• Babcock Street
• Silber Way
Hubway Ambassadors will be assisting users at these temporary locations Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM – 10:00 AM and from 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM, providing additional bikes on a first-come, first-serve basis. All existing Hubway stations along Commonwealth Avenue and the rest of the Hubway service area will continue to be operational.
For New Hubway Users
• Download the brand new Hubway mobile app, available for iPhone and Android: http://www.thehubway.com/how-it-works/get-the-app
• Use the app to find a station near you.
• Starting soon, you'll also be able to get a pass via the app (only for a single trip or save 0 on a full annual membership during the shutdown!)
For more information, visit http://www.thehubway.com, and download the new Hubway mobile app.
Please see the project website: www.mass.gov/massdot/commavebridge for more information and to review project documents and presentations.
Please share this advisory with anyone you think may be interested in the project, and encourage them to sign up for email alerts for traffic updates and meeting announcements: http://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MADOT/subscriber/new?topic_id=MADOT_77%27
For any questions or comments, please contact Jim Kersten, MassDOT Legislative Liaison, at 857-368-9041 or by email at CommAveBridge@dot.state.ma.us.
Commonwealth Ave Bridge Replacement Project Team